Open Heart surgery is any type of surgery where the chest is cut open and the surgery is performed on the muscles, valves, or the arteries of the heart.
The term ”open heart surgery” means that you are connected to a heart-lung bypass machine, or bypass pump during surgery.
Your heart is stopped while you are connected to this machine. This machine does the work of the heart and lungs while your heart is stopped for the surgery. The machine adds oxygen to your blood, moves blood through your body and removes carbon dioxide.
CONDITIONS TREATED BY OPEN HEART SURGERY
- Congenital heart diseases – patient is born with the heart condition like ASD, VSD(hole in the heart) and other complex lesions
- Coronary artery disease – blockage of blood vessels that supply blood to the heart.
- Valvular disorders – disease affecting the values of the heart
- Aneurysms and dissection – abnormalities in the major blood vessels of the body
- Intracardiac thrombus/tumour – blood clot or growth within the chambers of the heart
- End stage heart failure requiring heart transplant.